Thursday 16 June 2022

MY TEACHER PROF. T.C. GOEL - A LIVING LEGEND

 

 



Prof. Trilok Chandra Goel still remains one of my most favourite teachers who continue to inspire me and guide my destiny even two decades after his retirement and three decades after my post-graduation. He is a teacher who, by being himself, has taught me some invaluable lessons in life. He was always a class apart both in perseverance and in attitude and was never apologetic of his high standards, knowing fully well that those people who really wanted to be in his life will raise their standards to meet him. This is an invaluable life lesson, which I still see him living out and mediocrity was never an arena in which he was ever prepared to play.

 

Prof. Goel is a Hewett Medalist (1962) and started as a lecture in the Department of Surgery in King George’s Medical College, Lucknow, a position to which he was promoted from Chief Residentship by the then Professor and Head of the Department of Surgery Prof. S.C. Mishra. It was his single minded dedication towards the clinical teaching of Surgery that soon made him the favourite of every student.

 

His punctuality still remains in the Georgian folklore and his morning attendance always started at 9 AM sharp and never at 9.01! This would be followed by an impromptu class in which he would teach us an X. Ray or an surgical instrument or gadget or a surgical pathology specimen or an interesting case. In 10 minutes the message would be conveyed and in the next 5 minutes he would ask us questions with the sole intention of ascertaining whether his teaching has achieved ‘Antyodaya’. The Albert Einsteins , the Jagdeesh Chandra Boses and the Madam Curies  of the batch were not his only concern, he would not rest till even the ‘Pappu’ of the batch had also understood the subject. This was followed by a ‘Jiggyasa session’ and each of us had to carry a ‘Jiggyasa Dairy’ in which we must have noted a ‘jiggyasa’ or a question of the day, which we all tried to answer and differences of opinion were encouraged and ironed out. Then we were off to our clinical wards, fully charged for the day! For all those who missed the 9 O’ clock attendance it was ‘Garhi choot gai lalloo!’, no excuses and naturally no attendance.]

 

Throughout the hospital and college hours Prof. Goel, all his working life, was 100% immersed in his passion for teaching Surgery. Whether in his room or in his wards, or in his class or in his operating theatre he was always teaching students and residents of both MBBS and BDS streams as well as his post-graduates and residents. What was most remarkable was that when he was alone in his room he was either studying books and journals or preparing teaching material for his students. Those were pre-computer days and every material was written in longhand and categorized. These teaching materials kept on accumulating and provided him with ample literature to write countless books in various aspects of Surgery. He realized that there were no good text books of Surgery exclusively for the dental students and so poured in all his resources and produced what is today the best text book of Surgery for dental undergraduate students [KGMU Textbook of General Surgery for Dental Students (Theory and Practical). 2018, Wolters Kluwer Health (India), Gurgaon, Haryana. ISBN 978-938-79-6339-9]

 

Prof. Goel had a passion for Hindi language and has published many books of poetry, prose and satire in Hindi. He soon channelized his excellence in Hindi to its best use by writing the first text book of modern Surgery in Hindi, a book which is very popular in this part of the country [Adhunik Shalya Chikitsa Vigyan ISBN 978-93-5152-542-4.] Many books in various aspects of Surgery followed and he was not translating text but creating genuine and authentic content in Hindi for posterity. He would often call us, his old students, on the phone and ask us to contribute illustrations – photographs, diagrams, X. Rays, Ultrasound, C.T and M.R.I images for his books and they were invariably published with acknowledgement to the contributors.

 

My personal association with Prof. Goel goes back to 1977, when I was an under-graduate student of Surgery. But it was as his Resident that I first realized how much effort he was putting in day in and day out to improve the quality of teaching in our Department. He conducted my M.S. General Surgery practical examination and I still remember it was a Wednesday, the day after our Tuesday Emergency. With his customary parental concern he enquired whether I was still nil orally. It surely must have been obvious because soon enough breakfast arrived and Mohan, our canteen boy, called me in. I was first to finish my long case and was striking a beat on the bed-side table, so that I do not doze off. He pointed it out to Prof. Dubey and our two external examiners and said that “I think he is ready”! What followed was a 45 minutes viva on Osteogenic Sarcoma – its cell of origin, its varied pathology, the difficulties in histological diagnosis, clinical variations, radiological findings, treatment modalities, recent advances ending in the logic of High Dose Methotrexate with Leucovorin rescue. I do not know what the external examiners thought but I did not miss Prof. Dubey embracing the young Prof. Goel in excitement and pumping his deltoids.

 

After my M.S I got selected for M.Ch in Paediatric Surgery in K.E.M. Hospital, from where our teacher Prof. A.K. Wakhlu was trained but for some strange political reasons (a strike by Maharashtra Association of Resident Doctors against outsiders) it did not materialize. Back in Lucknow Prof. Goel rationalized the situation and said that it was a Divine wish that I stayed a bit longer in the Alma-mater. Subsequently I became engrossed in Plastic Surgery training under the guidance and tutelage of Prof. S.K. Bhatnagar, Prof. S.D. Pandey and Prof. R. Chandra, but my association with Prof. Goel continued through the Thursday morning Surgical meetings in N.S.B( New Surgical Block). It is in one of these meetings that I presented the anatomical dissections and surgical cases of my ‘Island Tongue Flap’. Prof. Goel greatly appreciated the simplicity of the flap and later allowed me to do it in his patients. This research fetched me the prestigious Peet Prize of the Association of Plastic Surgeons of India.

 

After returning from overseas I continued to attend the Thursday meetings and in one of them I presented my first free flap I performed in Lucknow, a penis reconstruction by free radial forearm flap. All my teachers including Prof. Goel blessed me and it is because of those blessings that I was able to establish my practice in the cities of Lucknow, Gorakhpur and Moradabad. When I became the Editor in Chief of the Indian Journal of Plastic Surgery in 2009 Prof. Goel gave me an invaluable advice. He told me that if the science is good and the language is not, always accept the paper, rewrite it from Title to Bibliography if required, but keep the scientific research alive. Otherwise how will we generate Indian content and offer Indian contribution…… after all, all of us are not good in English! In 2017 when the Prof. Karoon Agarwal’s ‘Text Book of Plastic, Reconstructive and Aesthetic Surgery’, the 6 volume extravaganza started publication, I took the two volumes I and III, of which I was the Sectional Editor, to Prof. Goel. He was so thrilled looking at them and without an iota of hesitation I told him that it was he who had inspired me to think big and achieve bigger!

 

His unwavering dedication towards teaching and documentation is an inspiration to many of us. Not only has it helped us navigate through the gates of higher education but it has also helped me personally to understand that we have very little time to spare as there is a lot to be learned and we are just scratching the surface of wisdom. Time is the most precious possession that we have and he has taught me to spend it in the most intelligent way. I have never seen him sitting with other staff members in a Darbar and sipping tea or reading a magazine. He would always be there, in his room, in his desk, studying and enriching himself. Though today he is well beyond 80 years in age but his mind is still young and imbibing newer ideas and quenching his thirst for the unknown. He is busy writing a book of Urology in Hindi, and there are many newer ventures in his pipeline.

 

King George’s Medical University reappointed him as Emeritus Professor in 2015 and decorated him with the Doctorate Honoris Causa degree in 2017. His interests did not wane once his formal teaching responsibilities ceased to exist after retirement. With time in hand he became even more productive. He has till date published many medical and non-medical books which can fill a few racks in the library.

You can visit his Wikipedia page to know about him https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trilok_Chandra_Goel

 

He started off as a Lecturer in Surgery but has become an institution in himself and in his lifetime my teacher Prof. T.C. Goel is today a living legend!

6 comments:

  1. Thanks to Dr S Bhattacharya Sir for writing this post for Prof TC Goel sir. Sir is really a living legend. He is very punctual and disciplined, even at this age he sits in chair every day for more than 10 hrs for writing different surgery books. I have utmost respect for him. I was fortunate enough to have him as my surgery teacher during my postgraduation in surgery. He not only taught us surgery but also imparted many important life lessons.
    As it is said, "The mediocre teacher tells. The good teacher explains. The superior teacher demonstrates. The great teacher inspires" sir is really an inspiration for all his students, a "once in lifetime" teacher who has a very special place in all his student's hearts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. เค…เคธเคฒी เคชाเคฐเคธ เคชเคค्เคฅเคฐ, เคœिเคธे เค›ू เคฆिเคฏा เคตो เคธोเคจा เคนो เค—เคฏा.... เคนเคฎ เคœैเคธे เค•ो เคญी.....เคธाเคฆเคฐ เคจเคฎเคจ... เค—ुเคฐूเคฆเคค्เคค..

    ReplyDelete
  3. Prof T C Goyal is living legend as a surgeon in the history of K G M C.Most prolific and dynamic of his time .I always remember his ever smiling face .He has been very inspiring and caring to his students. Now it is rare to find such wonderful teachers. My sadar Prannam. Wonderful blog by dear Surjit

    ReplyDelete
  4. Prof. T.C. Goel is the teacher of the teachers, an eminent author & a living legend of Surgery in this continent.

    We express our utmost respect & sincere gratitude for him.

    May he live long !

    - Prof. Md. Ayub Ali
    Professor of Plastic Surgery, BSMMU, Shahbagh, Dhaka.

    Anita Sharma
    I remember his Sanskrit shlokas by heart
    เค•ाเค• เคšेเคท्เคŸा เคตाเค•् เคง्เคฏाเคจ เคถ्เคตाเคจ เคจिเคฆ्เคฐा เคคเคฅेเคต เคš
    เค…เคฒ्เคชเคนाเคฐी เค—्เคฐเคนเคค्เคฏाเค—ी
    เคตिเคฆ्เคฏाเคฐ्เคฅी เคชंเคšเคฒเค•्เคทเคฃเคฎ!
    I use it to motivate my students
    That then is the beauty of his teaching, it lives on…
    You have brought back many memories!

    Rajeev Tandon
    Yes. Punctuality at its best. And teaching points in form of bullets/summaries.
    On a personal level, operated my father twice, once for GB stones and for perforated appendix.

    Ashok Agarwal
    Teachers of teacher
    I salute him
    We pray for his good health

    Surendra K. Verma
    I am proud to be his classmate. I agree with every word narrated so eloquently.


    Rajendra Prasad
    Teachers of teacher.great punctuality and overall great human being

    Ravi Kant
    His writing skills, apart from excellent teaching methods, impressed Honble Chancellor and decision to award honorary DSc to Prof TCG was approved unanimously

    Shikha Arun
    Surajit Da, thank you for writing so eloquently about Prof. Goel. As you mentioned he wanted even Pappu to understand how to think. I was that “ Pappu”! It was not important how to diagnose a particular disease but how to think about it. It is the thought process on how to make a differential diagnosis, how best to disprove your own biases to come to the diagnosis. Dr. Goel was instrumental in making me feel valued and that I could be whatever I wanted to be. His Jigayasu diary lives immortally in my mind. As you mentioned the brilliant students like you would have benefited from him but it really was Pappus like me who were inspired- so I do have heartfelt gratitude for him that he helped young women medical students too. Just curious are there now women general surgeons - not talking about ob/gyn. In my days there were no women general surgeons!

    Suresh Kumar Kalra
    When I was in 4th semester,he joined as lecturer few months ago,he was most favorite pupil of Prof S C Misea then HOD surgery.I have yet to see such a dedicated,humble and highly qualified,full of zeal and zest personality

    Abdul Jameel Khan
    An humble & great human is TC BHAI :and me his lucky classmate ( 57-62 ) ๐Ÿ™

    Pramod Upadhayya
    One of our legendary Georgian..a great teacher and surgeon...our pride..

    Atul Kaushik
    He had his unique ways of teaching.. always carrying an aura around him.Wish him a healthy n long life.

    Pratap Mishra
    A great man in all aspect, he gifted me few book wrote by him, one of them "เคฆเคจเค•ौเคฐ เคธे เคฒเค–เคจเคŠ เคคเค•" tells more about Dr.T.C.Goel ๐Ÿ™๐Ÿ™

    Abha Dalela
    เคเคธे เค—ुเคฐु เค•ो เคถเคค เคถเคค เคจเคฎเคจ ๐Ÿ™๐Ÿ™
    เค†เคชเค•े เคฌाเคฐे เคฎें เค•ुเค› เคญी เคฒिเค–เคจा เคเคธा เคนै เคœैเคธे เคธूเคฐเคœ เค•ो เคฆिเคฏा เคฆिเค–ाเคจा ๐Ÿ™๐Ÿ™

    Aditi Srivastava
    เคธाเคฆเคฐ เคจเคฎเคจ
    เค•ेเคตเคฒ เค”เคฐ เค•ेเคตเคฒ เคกॉ เคŸी,เคธी เค—ोเคฏเคฒ เคธเคฐ เค•े เคฎोเคŸीเคตेเคถเคจ เค•े เค•ाเคฐเคฃ เคฎुเคे เคธเคฐ्เคœเคฐी เคฎें เค‡ंเคŸเคฐेเคธ्เคŸ เคกेเคตेเคฒเคช เคนुเค† เค”เคฐ เคซाเค‡เคจเคฒ เคเคฎ เคฌी เคฌी เคเคธ เคฎें เคธเคฐ्เคœเคฐी เคฎें เคกिเคธ्เคŸिंเค•्เคถเคจ เคช्เคฐाเคช्เคค เคนुเค†
    เค…เคถेเคท เค†เคญाเคฐ ๐Ÿ™๐Ÿ™

    Bhupendra Dwivedi
    He was not only a good teacher but also a very disciplined person, Used to reach the department in time,every day sign symptoms of a disease was written on the blackboard,use to take teaching in the ward,he had his own way of teaching which was very simple and easy to grasp,Once some students went to Prof Dubey to invite him for a get together meeting,he advised them to invite Prof T.C.Goel just because of his virtues,he also believed in superstitions as I had heard him saying that this patient will survive because I found someone coming infront of me with filled bucket.He had his own clear views on different aspects of life.๐Ÿ™.A teacher I will always remember in life.
    Pradeeo Bharti Gupta
    เคŸ्เคฐेเคจ เค›ूเคŸ เค—เคฏी
    His statement on being late for attendance ๐Ÿ˜ƒ

    Kuldeep Kumar
    We all are fortunate enough to be his students. Sir you are still inspiring us as a students as well as medical teacher. ๐Ÿ™๐Ÿ™

    ReplyDelete
  5. Alla Narain
    His ever smiling countenance leaves an indelible impression on one and all. He had a knack of making complicated things simple. None would miss his class. A great personality. I have the utmost respect for the gentleman, teacher and guide.Wish him a healthy long life.

    Bhupendra Kumar Rastogi
    great Salut to .my classmate &intimate friend sober sincere person grt scholar writer Dr t c goel l wish long life b k

    Amrita Kansal
    ๐Ÿ™ a great teacher and wonderful person who has touched so many lives๐Ÿ’

    Rajendra Chaube
    Was arguably one of the best teachers of Surgery, ever smiling, so punctual, a surgeon of repute & a medical writer par excellence

    Anil Kohli
    Wonderful human and Teacher who can’t be compared with any one One of its kind. Wish him long life and good health

    Rajkumari Mittal
    A great teacher and human being with unique teaching style.. he always used to create curiosity in his students. Feeling blessed as his student. Ishwar unhe shatayu kare.

    Raj Kumar Seth
    Lovely personality once I missed to do the homework he punished me in lovely way "write this chapter 50 times and show me tomorrow"
    Dr Rajkumar seth vnsi 66 batch

    Chandra Bhal Tripathi
    Fastest Surgery amongst all faculty.
    Great Teacher, made easy any and everything. Sadar Pranam.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Manju Mohan
    His jigyasa diary was a legend too .. from him I learnt to tell my patients to write down their jigyasa( queries) when ever it arises in their minds ..some of them have a list of questions when they come for a visit

    Arun Seth
    TC my class fellow
    My friend.I never had doubt about his ability when he was with us at SP hostel.He was 2ond position holder after another friend of mine Ashok

    Mahima Pandey
    I am fortunate that he tought me while he was chief resident in 1966. I loved his style when he tought me how to diagnose lumps around the neck

    Pramod Saxena
    Absolutely wonderful to read about TC. Indeed, I am also very proud of being his batch mate (1957-1962).

    Arun Chaturvedi
    Agree with you completely Surajit! Prof. Goel has always been the epitome of diligence, sincerity, discipline, punctuality and surgical skill. His engagement with students, his morning attendance classes with daily doses of measured teaching and the ‘jigyasa diary’ are memories of my formative years. His encouraging and affectionate guidance in later years has been a constant support. Like thousands of his other students I shall always remain indebted to my teacher Prof Goel.๐Ÿ™

    Ajay Pant
    Besides being a teacher par excellence, he was a great reformer. Unbiased in his dealings, he strove only to improve and broaden our abilities. God bless him ๐Ÿ™

    Munish Kohli
    A teacher with no parallel.Still recollect his 8am class in NSB basement...come what may he was never late by a minute..salute to him ๐Ÿ™๐Ÿ™

    Pramod Kumar Gupta
    A excellent teacher and fine surgeon .my great respect to him. I was lucky to be his favourite student during my under graduation

    Manoj Kumar Singh
    I still remember his sanskrit shlokas about medicine,

    "เค•्เคตเคšिเคฆ्เคงเคฐ्เคฎ เค•्เคตเคšिเคจ्เคฎैเคค्เคฐी เค•्เคตเคšिเคฆเคฐ्เคฅः เค•्เคตเคšिเคฆ्เคฏเคถः ।
    เค•เคฐ्เคฎाเคญ्เคฏाเคธः เค•्เคตเคšिเคš्เคšेเคคि เคจाเคธ्เคคि เคจिเคท्เคซเคฒा ।। "
    and
    "เคชंเคš เคตैเคฆ्เคฏ: เคจ เคชूเคœเคฏंเคคे เคงเคจ्เคตंเคคเคฐि เคธเคฎ: เคฏเคฆ्เคฏเคชि "

    Kamna Verma
    Great teacher and a great personality taught us so much & value of time

    Deepa Dixit
    เคกॉเค•्เคŸเคฐ เคŸी เคธी เค—ोเคฏเคฒ เค…เคชเคจे เคฎें เคเค• เคฎเคนाเคจ เคนเคธ्เคคी เคนै เค”เคฐ เคธाเคฅ เคฎें เคเค• เค…เคš्เค›े เค‡ंเคธाเคจ เคญी เคนैं 1982 เคฎें เค‡เคจ्เคนीं เค•े เคฆ्เคตाเคฐा เคฎेเคฐा เค…เคชेंเคกिเค•्เคธ เค•ा เค‘เคชเคฐेเคถเคจ เคนुเค† เคฅा เค‰เคธ เคฆिเคจ เคญเคฏंเค•เคฐ เคชाเคจी เคฌเคฐเคธ เคฐเคนा เคฅा เค”เคฐ เคฎेเคฐे เคชเคคि เคฆेเคต เคกॉเค•्เคŸเคฐ เค†เคฆเคฐ्เคถ เคฆीเค•्เคทिเคค เคธเคฐ्เคœिเค•เคฒ เคฌ्เคฒॉเค• เคฎें เคฎुเคे เค›ोเคก़เค•เคฐ เค…เคชเคจे เคกेंเคŸเคฒ เคกिเคชाเคฐ्เคŸเคฎेंเคŸ เคฎें เค•िเคธी เค•ाเคฎ เคธे เคšเคฒे เค—เค เคคเคฌ เคคเค• เคฎेเคฐा เคจंเคฌเคฐ เค† เค—เคฏा เคกॉเค•्เคŸเคฐ เค—ोเคฏเคฒ เคฌोเคฒे เค•्เคฏा เค†เคฆเคฐ्เคถ เคญाเค— เค—เคฏा เคนเคฎเคจे เค•เคนा เคชเคคा เคจเคนीं เคตเคน เคฌोเคฒे เค ीเค• เคนै เค…เคฌ เค†เคช เค…ंเคฆเคฐ เค† เคœाเค‡เค เคฎैं เค‘เคชเคฐेเคถเคจ เคฅिเคเคŸเคฐ เค•े เค…ंเคฆเคฐ เค…เค•ेเคฒे เค—เคˆ เค”เคฐ เค‰เคจ्เคนोंเคจे เคฌेเคนोเคถी เค•ा เค‡ंเคœेเค•्เคถเคจ เคฆेเค•เคฐ เคฌोเคฒा เค•ि เคคुเคฎ เคเคฌीเคธीเคกी เคฌोเคฒो เคเคฌीเคธीเคกी เคฌोเคฒเคจे เคชเคฐ เคฎुเคे เคนंเคธी เค† เค—เคˆ เคคो เคตเคน เคฌोเคฒे เค ीเค• เคนै เคคुเคฎ เคนंเคธो เคคเคฌ เคฎैं เคฌेเคนोเคถ เคนो เค—เคˆ เคฎुเคे เคชเคคा เคจเคนीं เคšเคฒा เค”เคฐ เคฎेเคฐा เค‘เคชเคฐेเคถเคจ เคธเคซเคฒ เคฐเคนा เคธเคซเคฒ เคคो เคนोเคจा เคนी เคฅा เค•्เคฏोंเค•ि เค‰เคจเค•े เคŠเคชเคฐ เคนเคฎ เคฒोเค—ों เค•ो เค…เค—ाเคง เคตिเคถ्เคตाเคธ เคฅा ❣❣๐Ÿ™๐Ÿ™❣❣

    Namita Asthana
    Indeed! We grew up in the same neighborhood he lived in and I was a batch mate of his daughter who sadly passed recently.

    Monika Bhatt
    A man of principles, knowledge ,discipline and simplicity.....an inspiration

    Ghanshyam Agarwal
    Great teacher &mentor my thesis guide๐Ÿ™

    ReplyDelete