Friday 16 December 2016

FRIENDS – I LIKE THEM RICH AND INFLUENTIAL!





Who are the people whom you call friends? Do you have many? Do you have some? Do you have any? Do you use this term ‘friend’ very loosely in an all encompassing manner? Or are you very choosy when it comes to conferring this title? There are many with whom I interact day in and day out - they are my colleagues from work, my batch-mates from King George’s Medical College, my school-mates from Colvin, my neighbors, my acquaintances, my patients and their relatives but just because I know them by their first name they do not qualify for the coveted title of ‘friend’. Over the years I have put a very high price tag on this title!

So naturally, the next questions who can qualify to be my friend? I am of the opinion that when I take an interest in someone, I do to a certain extent like them to reflect the qualities, morals and values that I have in life, but that doesn't mean if one is lacking them, they have no chance of qualifying. That is because though I like myself, I do not like my prototypes. One me is enough, the second one will surely be intolerable! So what are the qualities I look for in a friend? There are only two in fact – rich and influential…….but with a twist

To qualify as my friend I look for richness in honesty, reliability and trustworthiness. The next three qualities which attract me are individuality, positivity and openness. And the last three are empathy, humor and passion. With these ‘navaratnas’ (nine jewels in Sanskrit and Hindi) I expect the person to have an everlasting influence and an indelible impression on me and constantly improve me as a human being. If I don’t strike a bargain, I can call the person every other name but not a 'friend'.

Friendship is a win-win relationship in which both friends end up winning and there are no losers. Honesty and trust go hand in hand. If someone can’t look into my eyes and be straight with me I suddenly switch off. I much prefer the truth, even if it is a little blunt at times - I have no time for lies. There is no litmus test for trust but generally I trust my instinct, I usually know who I can and cannot trust. My attitude is; trust them until they prove me wrong.

I enjoy the company of people who love being 'themselves' and are clearly comfortable with their life, who are happy with who they are and what they do for a living. They don’t always struggle to prove themselves right but enjoy everything that life brings in their way. If they promise me something, they go an extra mile to deliver and they don’t make excuses. I am not a saint at all times so I need friends with a certain amount of tolerance and understanding which I hope to reciprocate.

I like happy people! I like people who are full of life, dynamic and impulsive. Our attitude plays a vital role in our social interactions, how we view things makes us who we are - either effervescence of positivity and optimism or grave stone of negativity and pessimism. But if we learn to focus on the good and not waste time thinking about the things that bug us, we display a radiant and positive attitude which in turn is infectious. I need a friend who can laugh and love to see others laugh and live in the moment and for the moment. His/her company should mean instant joy and optimism all around!

Gossips and idle chit-chat is not my style, but to open closed books is not my hobby either. I admire people who are brave enough to share their thoughts with me and express an opinion of their own that may be absolutely contrary to mine. That does not mean that I tolerate cold hearted and mean spirited people, their opinions may differ and we may disagree at times but never be disagreeable. Their warmth, kindness, consideration and love cannot be linked to whether we see eye to eye.

I love people with a passion for life. When someone is passionate or enthusiastic about life, their energy and drive draws me in. Passion oozes out of them and I can't help but admire this.  Such people have a mission in life and are goal oriented and I feel inspired in their company. I like people to have morals and I like them live by their morals and not someone else's. Morals not only give their character structure and substance they also sets standards of decency.

When we step back and look at our mythology the two most outstanding examples of good friends were Karna and Krishna, but this where their similarities ended. Duryodhan broke all the rules of the prevailing caste system and gave Karna, the son of the charioteer, a status which his skill, talent and knowledge deserved. Karna in order to show his gratitude towards this unconditional friendship vowed to help and assist Duryodhan all through his life and in all conditions, good or bad. This is the reason why he did not side with Pandavas even when Lord Krishna exploded with the truth that he is one of the Pandava brothers and son of non other than Lord Surya himself. Krishna, on the other hand, was a friend to both, Sudama, the poor Brahmin and Arjuna, the Pandava archer prince but his friendship was not blind. He did not hesitate to suggest course correction to either of his friends when they were blinded by ‘moha’ or mirage of worldly bondages and to Arjun he offered the ultimate gift of friendship – the essence of Gita!


So let us decide once and for all, what sort of a friend we need – a Karna, who will be with us through thick and thin no matter how wrong we are or a Krishna who will guide our destiny and enrich our lives! The choice is yours!

No comments:

Post a Comment